Our rail transportation experience includes ordering, reserving and coordinating the proper railcar for a specific transformer’s weight and size. SPX Transformer Solutions owns two 12 axle railcars for large power transport, ensuring equipment availability when needed. We are also an active member of RICA (Railway Industrial Clearance Association) of North America, which allows us to draw from a vast knowledge base of every class one and short line railroad in the business and provides our team with the latest information on rail shipping standards within the industry.
Our shipping team maintains close relationships with specialized motor carriers to quickly transport transformers via the appropriate local roads, bridges and interstate highways, as required. This includes coordination of state permitting as well as working closely with escorts and statewide clearance boards.
From the day your transformer is loaded until it arrives, the SPX Transformer Solutions’ team provides a daily tracing of events. All rail shipments receive two digital impact recorders that record the entire transit history of a unit; these recorders are also available for truck shipments upon request at an additional charge. Point-to-point shipment monitoring by SPX Transformer Solutions helps secure the best possible routes and consistent on-time performance. We can also coordinate your delivery to coincide with on-site pad readiness and construction requirements, as well as all procedures up to and including the actual transformer installation.
SPX Transformer Solutions can ship FOB job site, FOB nearest rail siding or FOB pad. Additionally, our Service team can assemble, test and/or commission the transformer—either job-to-job or turnkey:
- Field assemble all parts removed for shipment
- Lower the oil level, if necessary, to install bushings or other parts (if the unit was shipped oil-filled); SPX Transformer Solutions oil tankers can be brought to the site for oil storage or handling
- Vacuum degassify using one of our many oil processing rigs to get new oil ready for installation, pull vacuum on the transformer and complete the vacuum oil-filling process using customer specifications or ours
- Complete a thorough battery of tests to verify the unit is ready for service
- Power Factor
- Core and Winding Resistance
- Transformer Turns Ratio
- Winding Excitation
- Current Transformer Ratio, Polarity and Saturation
- Operational Check of Controls and Alarms
- Gauge Calibration
- Doble® Tests
- Sweep Frequency Response Analysis
- Oil Sampling and Testing
- Leakage Reactance
Waukesha® Service focuses on maintaining performance quality, reliability and life of all transformers and load tap changers — whether manufactured by SPX Transformer Solutions or other suppliers. Visit the Service section of our website to learn more about our Service team and their capabilities.